Location: Dokk1. Get the list of participants here.
Find presentations and communication about the festival here.
Friday 11 September
OPTIONAL SITE VISITS
Saturday 12 September
OPTIONAL SITE VISITS
18:00 - 22:00 GET2GETHER IN DOKK1
Meet Festival Participants, speakers, sponsors, partners, special guests, international co-creators, and staff and managers from Aarhus Public Libraries and the Next Library Crew.
Get2Gether Opening Session featuring:
- Stephen Willacy, Aarhus City Architect
- Elif Tinaztepe, Associate, Senior Architect, schmidt/hammer/lassen architects
- Knud Schulz, Manager of the Main Library, Dokk1, Citizens’ and Library Services Aarhus
- Marie Oestergaard, Project Leader Dokk1 / Head of Community Engagement
- Rolf Hapel, Director of Citizens' Services and Libraries, Aarhus
Design Thinking Pop-up Shop: Visit the Design Thinking for Libraries shop and learn more about how you can solve challenges at your library. There will be small learning-by-doing sessions throughout the Next Library Festival.
Buffet, wine and beer, exhibitions and surprises...
Sunday 13 September
08:00 – 09:00 CHECK-IN AND COFFEE
Location: The Information
08:00 - 09:00 The Design Thinking Shop is open
09:00 – 10:00 WELCOME & OPENENING SESSION IN THE GREAT HALL
10:00 – 10:30 KEYNOTE:
The Public Library as a Powerful Change Agent for Society
/ Deborah Jacobs, Director of the Global Libraries Initiative at the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
10:30 - 11:00 INTRO TO PARALLEL SESSION AND IGNITE TALKS
11:00 – 12:30 PARALLEL SESSIONS
INTERACTIVE SESSIONS & IGNITE NEXT LIBRARY TALKS
SIX INTERACTIVE SESSIONS:
- Driving Impact by Innovation through Re-discovering our Community Potential / Daina Girvaite, Latvia and Mariana Harjevschi, Moldova. Location: M2
- Create a Library Game in 90 minutes / Andrew Walsh, UK. Location: The Transformation Lab.
- We put the fun in funk - intersection between Branding and Culture / Susan Dobbs and Stacie Ledden, Anythink, USA. Location: Small Hall.
- Stress Tests: Conducting Strategic Analyses of Public Library Services / Sara S. Moran, Nathaniel Eddy, Autumn McClintock and Joel A. Nichols, Free Library of Philadelphia, USA. Location: VIP. Meeting place at the conference desk.
- The Public Library: Infrastructure for the Responsive City / Nate Hill, Martin Brynskov, Joel Letkemann: Location: U1 + U2
- The Library as a Studio / Melanie Huggins, Executive Director, Richland Library and Margaret Sullivan, Principal, Margaret Sullivan Studio, USA. Location: 2017
TEN IGNITE NEXT LIBRARY TALKS. Location: Great Hall
65,000 libraries: one story
Speaker: Ilona Kish, Programme Public Libraries 2020, Reading & Writing Foundation, Belgium
Extreme Library Makeover and Mindshifts
Speaker: Erik Boekesteijn, Library Avenger, Doklab, The Netherlands
How to change a librarian
Speaker: Julia Bergmann, Library Avenger, freelance trainer for information literacy and new technologies, Germany
Global librarianship: Turning global inspiration into local action in your library
Speaker: Jan Holmquist, Library Avenger, Denmark
Using library architecture to combat loneliness and encourage connections
Speaker: Melissa Wieser, Librarian, Allerød Library, Denmark
Interactive Soundscapes in the library - Shhhh! ?
Speaker: Asger Christensen, Spoink, Denmark
A World of Playfulness
Speaker: Mathias Poulsen, Counterplay, Denmark
Planning Library Spaces - When Someone Else Is Paying
Speaker: Daniel Cherubin, Chief Librarian and Associate Dean, Hunter College, CUNY (New York, NY, USA
How to curate social media
Speaker: Peter Alsbjer, Library Director, Örebro Public Library, Sweden
DIY -> DIT
Speaker: Mogens Vestergaard, Library Director, Roskilde Libraries,
12:30 – 13:15 LUNCH BOXES. LOCATION 2017
12:30 - 13:15 The Design Thinking Shop is open
13:15 – 14:45 PARALLEL SESSIONS:
13.15 - 14:45 NEXT LIBRARY INNOVATION KEYNOTE:
Civic Media: Communities Making Change / Erhardt Graeff, MIT Center for Civic Media. Location: Great Hall.
13.15 - 14:45 FIVE INTERACTIVE SESSIONS
- Tools for Co-Creation in Service Design / Joti Upadhya D/O Omprakash and Lynn KOH, Singapore. Location: M2.
- Privacy Literacy / Erin Berman, San Jose Library, USA and Tine Jørgensen, Danish Librarians Union, DK. Location 2017.
- Do pitch yourself! A Library advocacy 4 EU role-play / Kristīne Pabērza, President of the Library Association of Latvia and Vincent Bonnet, director of EBLIDA. Location: U1 + U2.
- The library as a flexible learning space
Tine Vind, Danish Agency for Culture, Jens Lauridsen, director of Taarny Libraries, and Rosan Bosch, DK. Location: The Transformation Lab.
- Creative and playful uses for interactive technologies / Brad Hammond, Ethno Tekh, Melbourne Knowledge Fellow. Location: Small Hall.
15:00 – 15:15 EIFL PUBLIC LIBRARY INNOVATION AWARD CEREMONY
Award winners: Daina Girvaite, director of Pelči Library (Latvia) and Mariana Harjevschi, director general of ‘B.P.Hasdeu’ Municipal Library (Chisinau, Moldova)
Presented by Ramune Petuchovaite, Public Library Innovation Programme Manager. Location: Great Hall.
15:15 – 15:50
What's Next? Building and Implementing the Change Agenda
Key-note by Donna Scheeder, IFLA President
Location: Great Hall
SYSTEMATIC - JOY OF READING AWARD - ANNOUNCEMENT/
Michael Holm, founder and CEO of Systematic. Location: Great Hall
The new award will honour libraries or library affiliated organisations that encourage citizens to read, to fight the global challenge. The award is established by the IT company Systematic in collaboration with Aarhus Public Libraries and the Next Library Conference.
WRAP-UP DAY ONE: Warm up for festival Dinner /Location: Great Hall
16:00 DOKK1 CLOSES
17:30 BUSSES LEAVE FOR FESTIVAL DINNER PARTY
from Dokk1, Scandic City Hotel.
Remember your key hanger and nametag.
It's your ticket for Tivoli, valid from Sunday afternoon
18:00 - 01:00 NEXT LIBRARY FESTIVAL DINNER PARTY, all inclusive
Location: Hermans, Tivoli Friheden, Skovbrynet 5, 8000 Aarhus.
Monday 14 September
OPTIONAL MORNING EVENT:
7:00 Run and enjoy (5 km run). Meeting point: Dokk1 / Lisbeth Mærkedahl
09:00 GOOD MORNING AND INTRODUCTION TO KEYNOTE
09:10 – 09:40 KEYNOTE. Location: Great Hall
On the Verge Of Collapse - How the Greek libraries are dealing with societal challenges of scale/
Keynote speaker: Dimitris Protopsaltou, Director and Co-founder of Future Library, Greece
09:40 - 09:45 INTRODUCTION TO PARALLEL SESSIONS AND IGNITE NEXT LIBRARY
10:00 – 11:30 PARALLEL SESSIONS AND IGNITE NEXT LIBRARY TALKS
FIVE IGNITE NEXT LIBRARY TALKS.
- Teens Shrink the World / Jennifer Velasquez, San Antonio Library (Texas) & San Jos é State University (California), Jan Frydensbjerg, Lisbjerg School, (DK) and Lisbeth Mærkedahl & Michael Høyer-Nielsen, Dokk1, Aarhus Public Libraries (DK). Location: The Transformation Lab.
- Participatory Culture in the Library / Trent Miller and Greg. Mickells, Madison Public Library and Nate Davis, Steel House, USA. Location: Small Hall.
- I want to hold your hand - Library design in times of crisis Yaroslava Tytarenko, Bibliomist program, Global Libraries - Ukraine, Camelia Crisan is currently the Executive Director of Progress Foundation - Romania and Jacek Krolikowski, Information Society Development Foundation. Location: M2.
- Everything is awesome! / Nate Hill, METRO New York Library Council, Dawn Merkes, Group 4 Architecture,South San Francisco, USA and Amos Blanton, Research Officer, LEGO foundation. Location: 2017.
- Get the Edge: Leveraging Data to Action / Organizers: Kristi Zappie-Ferradino, Urban Libraries Council, Susan McVey, State Librarian, Oklahoma Department of Libraries and Susan Benton, President and CEO, Urban Libraries Council, USA. Location: U1 + U2.
- Play & Create / Organizer: Mathias Poulsen, Counterplay, Denmark. Location: The Ramp
Location: Great Hall
- Library Big Data? The process of creating better Search in library platforms using data science / Speaker: Madeleine Saunte, Strategic consultant, DBC, Denmark
- Story of the library as a living cookbookSpeaker: Emma Catiri , librarian, Biblioteca Zara, Milano, Italy
- A colorful journey – children’s learning through play at the library in the Capital of Children
Speaker: Ole Bisbjerg, Head of Libraries and Community Service, Billund Municipality, Denmark
- Taking user-generated data into the Holy Halls
Speaker: Søren Bitsch Christensen, City Archivist Aarhus City Archives, Denmark
- Libraries – agora’s of the 21. Century
Speaker: Sara Jørgensen, Head of development, Herning Libraries, Denmark
11:45 – 12:30 CLOSING SESSION & ANNOUNCEMENTS
NEXT LIBRARY FESTIVAL 2015 REVISIT
- Erik Boekesteijn, Library Avenger, Doklab, The Netherlands
- Kate Ogden, Christchurch, New Zealand
- Lynn Koh, Library Service Development, Public Libraries, National Library Board Singapore
- Deborah Jacobs, Global Libraries, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, USA
Host: Marie Oestergaard, Dokk1, Next Library Crew
- Nordic Halmstad Conference 9. 10. June 2016 in Bergen, Norway
- Next Library Rethink Conference Summer 2017 in Aarhus
11:30 - 14:00 The Design Thinking Shop is open
AFTERNOON: SESSIONS AND OPTIONAL SITE VISITS
13:30 - 15:30 Libraries as a Global Force Location: Great & Small Hall.
14:30 - 16:00 Aarhus New Maritime Urban Area
Meeting Point: Conference/Information Desk
16:00 - 19:00 Aarhus City Walk - small shops and galleries
Meeting Point: Conference/Information Desk.
13:00 - 17:00 Literature, Multiculture & Makerspaces in Branch Libraries - Meeting point: Dokk1, Information Desk at 13.00 CLOSED - FULLY BOOKED.
Tuesday 15 September
OPTIONAL TOURS AND SITE VISITS
7:00 Run and enjoy (5 km run). Meeting point: Dokk1 at 07.00
10:00 Dokk1 Architecture - guided tour. Meeting point: Dokk1,
The Information Desk
10:00 - 14:00 Civic Involvement, Micro-libraries & Citizens Services in Branch Libraries. Meeting point: Dokk1 Information Desk at 10.00
9:00 - 12:30 Tour Aarhus Time Travel - Centre of Participatory Information Technology CLOSED - FULLY BOOKED Meeting point: Dokk1 Information Desk at 09:00
Read more about the optional events.
We reserve the right to alterations and surprises!